Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] geraldongsoonlee@gmail.com is offline

Default Error in Calculating investment return in Excel using IRR or XRR

Hi everyone, I was hesitant to post here until I really exhausted all my brain power. Firstly thank you for reading my post, your time is precious and I really appreciate your time.

I tried calculating my irregular investment returns for the year using both IRR and XRR but could not return any results. Both IRR and XRR only returns a result if I omit my initial capital. I highly doubt the returns are correct, could anyone teach me how do I solve it?

I read a couple of explanations online but they were too technical for me to understand. If someone could explain why do I get an error it would be most helpful! Here are my values.

10-May-15 30907
18-May-15 -13982
20-May-15 -8095
17-Aug-15 597
24-Aug-15 3579
24-Aug-15 2524
25-Aug-15 938
30-Aug-15 -662
11-Nov-15 -1025
22-Apr-15 -6596
30-Apr-15 -1549
21-May-15 -64
5-Aug-15 -1111
22-Apr-15 6163
5-Oct-15 -848
10-Dec-15 -3797
17-Aug-15 49
10-Aug-15 97
29-Jul-15 64
1-Aug-15 -19
24-Aug-15 2069
31-Aug-15 -3606
31-Aug-15 -69
31-Aug-15 -94
1-Sep-15 -323
25-Sep-15 71
24-Aug-15 -1104
24-Aug-15 -836
24-Aug-15 -1302
24-Aug-15 970
24-Aug-15 272
24-Aug-15 1281
24-Aug-15 483
24-Aug-15 1408
28-Aug-15 -575
28-Aug-15 -546
2-Sep-15 -1467
13-Nov-15 313
9-Dec-15 -799
9-Dec-15 906
31-Dec-15 238
31-Dec-15 630
31-Dec-15 1036
31-Dec-15 851
31-Dec-15 3810
31-Dec-15 14265

Once again thank you for your time, have a great week and a happy Chinese new year