Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tb tb is offline

Default Help With Sorting

I am using Excel 2013 for Windows.

I am trying to sort some bin location in a specific way and don't know
how to do it.

We have a three-tiered vertical rack system in our warehouse that is
divided in bin locations. For instance, rack No. 01 has bin locations
1 and 2 at the bottom, locations 3 and 4 in the middle tier, and
locations 5 and 6 in the upper tier.

Therefore a bin location could be something like 01-1, 01-2, 01-3,
01-4, 01-5, 01-6 where the first two digits are the rack number (01 in
this case), followed by a dash ("-") and the third digit is the bin
location in that rack (1, 2, 3, 4 etc. in this example).

Locations 01-1 and 01-2 would be at the bottom of the vertical rack
system, 01-3 and 01-4 would be in the middle, 01-5 and 01-6 would be at
the top.

I would like to sort by rack numbers but so that all locations 1 and 2,
3 and 4 are sorted together and locations 5 and 6 are sorted last.

For instance, say that I have the following racks numbers and bin
locations:

01-1
01-2
01-3
01-4
01-5
01-6
02-1
02-2
02-3
02-4
02-5
02-6
03-1
03-2
03-3
03-4
03-5
03-6

I would like to find a way to sort them this way:

01-1
01-2
01-3
01-4