Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] dave.cuthill@computalog.com is offline

Default Validation list source is a list of comma separated values in asingle cell

I think I follow what you are saying but I will need to play around with it a bit more to determine if it will work for me.

Thank you

On Sunday, December 6, 2015 at 7:40:12 PM UTC-7, Auric__ wrote:
dave.cuthill wrote:

Is there a way of making the validation list reference a single cell but
in that cell is the list of acceptable values which are comma separated.
I think this would be simple in VBA but I am trying to figure out if
there is formula that can be entered into the source field for the
validation criteria that would then use these values as a list.

Try this:

=IF(ISERROR(FIND(B1,A1)),"",B1)

A1 is your list, B1 is the item to look for. If you want some sort of
"invalid item" error, put it in the quotes. (This works because FIND()
returns #VALUE! (an error) if it can't find what it's looking for.)

--
Avoid use of a tourniquet, unless you're into that sort of thing.