Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] guglis2intrusive@gmail.com is offline

Default Need Help with ROUNDUP

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 11:44:14 PM UTC-6, pedro wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 14:22:19 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I need to combine a formula and ROUNDUP to arrive at the next whole number value of a formula and do not want to burn a cell calculating the value of the formula before using ROUNDUP to reference the value in another cell.

I am building a table that will calculate materials needed for a project.. As the same material is used to create two different components in the project I am tracking the total length of material needed in two separate cells before adding them together to get a combined total. As I can't buy partial units I'd like to SUM these two cells, divide by the material length, and ROUNDUP to arrive at a total number of material units needed for the project.

In this example D3 and E3 contain the values 448 and 240 respectively. F3 calculates the total number of units necessary with the formula "=SUM (D3:E3)/31" (where 31 is the length of the parent material at time of purchase) yielding a result of 22.19. I would like F3 to round this value to 23.

Any help is appreciated.

Am I missing something?

"=ROUNDUP((SUM (D3:E3)/31),0)"

or simply

"=ROUNDUP(SUM (D3:E3)/31)"

PEDRO -

Neither of these work. Though I thought I'd tried every variation of your suggestion before posting my original message, I'd obviously not tried the first one.

The first yields a value of "#NAME" in the cell. When the second is entered I get a an error message indicating that "there are too few arguments for this function".

Perhaps this has to do with the D3 and E3 cells? These cells contain formulas that yield numerical values rather than hard entered values.