Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,soc.genealogy.computing
GS[_6_] GS[_6_] is offline

Default Dangers of using Excel as a database

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 15:19:32 -0400, GS wrote:

I forgot to mention there are many samples of code available for
using a macro to import data to a worksheet, and so you really
don't have to learn how to use VBA to run a ready-made macro. Just
assign the macro to a menuitem or button. You can store it in
PERSONAL.XLS so it's always available.

I was talking primarily about data entry by keyboard.

And it seems that the solution is always to type ' at the beginning
of every cell in a column that contains numerals and slashes but is
not a date, otherwise there is a risk of Excel interpreting and
storing it as a date, so that even though it may *display* correctly,
it will not print or export correctly.

Yes, for direct entry this is how I input values I don't want
interpreted. Though, manually typing your data into cells didn't change
in my tests and so I suspect there's a setting somewhere that's causing
printouts to use 2-digit years. Not sure where/how because it doesn't
happen at my end.

Regardless, Excel's attempts at 'helpfulness' can really be annoying at
times!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!