Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,soc.genealogy.computing
Steve Hayes Steve Hayes is offline

Default Dangers of using Excel as a database

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 09:06:12 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 04:58:36 +0200, Steve Hayes
declaimed the following:

Thanks very much, I'll suggest to my wife that she do that with all
fields where numerals are separated with slashes.

May or may not help, but...
http://exceluser.com/formulas/earlydates.htm

No, the problem is not early dates, but rather Excel treating
non-dates as if they were dates.

It seems that if it finds one field in a column that looks as though
it could possibly be a date, then it will treat other fields in that
column as dates too, and store them as numerals.

So even if it is formatted to *display* as text, as entered, if one
pronts it, or saves it in a a CSV style, it will print or store the
wrong value.

It seems that the only way out of it is to precede every entry in the
field (column) with a '

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com