Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,soc.genealogy.computing
Steve Hayes Steve Hayes is offline

Default Dangers of using Excel as a database

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 10:20:41 -0400, Denis Beauregard
wrote:

OO and LO accepted for years to enter pre-1900 dates as dates
while Excel considered them as texts. I found a method to
handle that similarly, by prepending a ' to the cell.

So enter '13/1/3119 to keep it as is. I enter all complete dates
like that, even after 1900. In a few cases, the quote is still
shown, when the date is wrong, i.. '12-31-2000 will be right
but '13-31-2000 will show the quote.

Thanks very much, I'll suggest to my wife that she do that with all
fields where numerals are separated with slashes.

We're not going to waste the paper and ink to reprint the ones that
were wrong -- I'll just correct them by pen.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com