Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,soc.genealogy.computing
Steve Hayes Steve Hayes is offline

Default Dangers of using Excel as a database

On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 14:37:54 -0400, GS wrote:

On 05/07/15 15:22, Steve Hayes wrote:
When we go to archives to record genealogical and historical
information, I usa a databade program,. askSam, but my wife uses a
spreadsheet, because she is an accountant, and that isd what she is
familiar with.

IT departments often encounter this situation, especially with
accountants.

Write out 100 times "A spreadsheet is not a database"

But in this particular case were MOOC and 13/1/3119 in different
columns? If not this seems a particularly egregious error - even if
making assumptions about date-like strings is acceptable a
spreadsheet really shouldn't be trying to parse sub-strings to look
for dates.

Not trying to be combative...
When I enter 13/1/3119 or 1/13/3119 in a cell, format doesn't change
(the cell is formatted 'General').

But did you try to print it?

When I said the records were wrong, my wife checked, and the data was
as she entered it. It was in printing that the entry was changed.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com