Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,soc.genealogy.computing
GS[_6_] GS[_6_] is offline

Default Dangers of using Excel as a database

On 05/07/15 15:22, Steve Hayes wrote:
When we go to archives to record genealogical and historical
information, I usa a databade program,. askSam, but my wife uses a
spreadsheet, because she is an accountant, and that isd what she is
familiar with.

IT departments often encounter this situation, especially with
accountants.

Write out 100 times "A spreadsheet is not a database"

But in this particular case were MOOC and 13/1/3119 in different
columns? If not this seems a particularly egregious error - even if
making assumptions about date-like strings is acceptable a
spreadsheet really shouldn't be trying to parse sub-strings to look
for dates.

Not trying to be combative...
When I enter 13/1/3119 or 1/13/3119 in a cell, format doesn't change
(the cell is formatted 'General').

A spreadsheet is nothing more than a glorified grid control. Grid
controls are what users typically use to work with data stored in a
database file. It doesn't really matter what the filetype is, but
matters more *how the data is handled* between the file and the grid
control.

Thus, the key to manipulating your data in a specific grid control lies
in *knowing how to use the grid control effectively for the task at
hand*!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!