Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,soc.genealogy.computing
Ian Goddard Ian Goddard is offline

Default Dangers of using Excel as a database

On 05/07/15 15:22, Steve Hayes wrote:
When we go to archives to record genealogical and historical
information, I usa a databade program,. askSam, but my wife uses a
spreadsheet, because she is an accountant, and that isd what she is
familiar with.

IT departments often encounter this situation, especially with accountants.

Write out 100 times "A spreadsheet is not a database"

But in this particular case were MOOC and 13/1/3119 in different
columns? If not this seems a particularly egregious error - even if
making assumptions about date-like strings is acceptable a spreadsheet
really shouldn't be trying to parse sub-strings to look for dates.

--
Hotmail is my spam bin. Real address is ianng
at austonley org uk