Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] fdb_biz@bloomingdalecom.net is offline

Default User-defined concatenation

Hi. I'm looking to be able to concatenate four items but enable the
user to define the order in which the items are concatenated. The
concatenation will be a 'title' in a log, and users have titled things
manually and differently for a long time, so I would like to make the
programming update I'm trying to make flexible enough to enable users
to continue using their own personal logs.

I currently have two columns, Category and Number. My thought is to
insert an 'Order' column in column A to allow the user to define the
order of concatenation.

For example, user Bob has his four categories order defined as
Catalog#-INV-CMPL-Notes, as shown below.

Order Category Number
4 Notes Red (bush)

Title: 5100-87500-87000-Red (bush)

But user Sue has her four catergores order defined as
INV-CMPL-Catago#-Notes, as shown below.

Order Category Number
4 Notes Red (bush)

Title: 87500-87000-5100-Red (bush)

What might be the formula I could use in the cell next to Title:?
I've thought I might need some sort of Indirect, but I haven't been
able to think how to apply this. And I haven't been able to find
anything in my search in this group or on the internet. I'd greatly
appreciate any thoughts and assistance. Thanks!

Frank