Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
L. Howard L. Howard is offline

Default Cell value reference for ROW in a formula

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 8:59:57 PM UTC-8, GS wrote:
Take a look at the INDIRECT() function...

--
Garry

I actually did try that, formula looks like this and returns #NAME.

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A1:F&INDIRECT(G1),A1:F&INDIRECT( G1))0,1))

Must have the syntax wrong.

Howard

Your absolutely correct! This function returns a value from the range
it refs, or from the range named in G1 such as you've used in dependant
dropdowns. The help file states ref_text is how to specify and so
try...

INDIRECT("G1")

--
Garry

Looks like the crowd is going with this, which works.

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A1:INDEX(F:F,G1),A1:INDEX(F:F,G1 )),1))

I was unable to get the indirect("G1") to work.

Howard