Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] marino.paunil@gmail.com is offline

Default Survey stations in excel

As shown below, I used: =--SUBSTITUTE(cell containing the station #,"+",""). Wow! Now I am able to add distances to stations in excel and get the next station. Very helpful. I had a starting station and need to place 400 CIDH piles 3 feet apart. I just add 3 feet to the station and the next station "magically" shows up in the next cell. Very helpful, very very helpful!!!
Thanks Rick!

On Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 7:11:53 PM UTC-8, Rick Rothstein wrote:
While you could use FIND to find the + sign and concatenate 100 times the
part to the left of the + sign and add it to the part on the right of the +
sign, this formula is much easier and it accomplishes the same end result....

=--SUBSTITUTE(cell containing the station #,"+","")

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Jim Olyniec" wrote in message ....
Here is what I did in Excel. I entered the station # in one of my
columns. Then in the next column I converted it to a number for
additional calculations I did. The conversation uses the text formula
function to select the full station to the left of the "+" and multiply it
by 100 and then add the 2 far right numbers.

Left(cell containing the station #,1)+Right(cell containing the station
#,2).

The only oddity is that when the stations start with 2 digits, the formula
needs to have the "1" changed to "2" and when it has 3 digits, it will
have to be "3".

Jim