Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default Trying to find a way to calculate subtotals for different sections data validation

You might want to start with how to use dependant dropdowns...

...firstly, then learn how to structure named lists and data sections so
these can be more efficiently used in the context of your example file.
For example...

Categories should be a contiguous named list with global scope.
Flashing
Underlayment
Edge_Valley Metal
Note I replaced the slash with an underscore because it's the only
valid non alpha-numeric character allowed in defined names. Spaces
aren't allowed either but we can take care of that in the DV using
a list formula.

Each category listitem should have its own contiguous named list of
line items with global scope, and its own named table of data with
local scope.

Have a look for MockUp3.xlsx here...

https://app.box.com/s/23yqum8auvzx17h04u4f

--