Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
L. Howard L. Howard is offline

Default With F1 value, look at A, if match or partial match return B

F1 = a value, text or number, and is the "lookup value" for the for the wild card formula I think I need. (1234, 1cww6, QWE, are examples.)

Want to look at A for the F1 value, and if a match OR a partial match, then return the value in B to column D.

If no match at all, then return nothing to D.

Ex. 1 Partial match

F1 = 23-DD
A2 = 123-DD/48
B2 = $4.00

then D = $4.00

Ex. 2 No match

F1 = 23-DD
A6 = cc_44/9
B6 = $27.00

then D = ""

I was able to do this with an InStr macro, but is way to slow using for each in range.

Data is very long column of part numbers in A with associated price in B.

I intend to use the formula in a macro to do various F1 look ups when the value in F1 (or inputbox) is changed.

It's the ~*??* syntax formula that eludes me.

Thanks,
Howard