View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
external usenet poster

Default Help needed to writing a macro to put the year in column B of a tableusing Table nomenclature & the Evaluate method

I have an Excel Table named "Dates" consisting of 2 columns: column A and column B.

Column A is a list of DATES. I want column B to be a list of the YEARS associated with the dates in column A. The year in cell B2 would be the result of the formula
=year(A2) etc.

The table name is "Dates"
Column A is also named "Dates" and
Column B is named "YY"

I would like an Excel VBA macro to do the following:
For each date in column A of the table "Dates", write the corresponding Year of that date in column B named "YY" but with the following constraints:

1. The macro should NOT use any loops.
2. I want the macro statements to be expressed in terms of Table references such as "Dates[YY]" rather than Range references such as "Range "b2"

The following macro (Solution1) which I found at http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172347 is very close to what I want.

Sub Solution1()
With Range("a2", Range("a" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
.Offset(, 1).Value = _
Evaluate("if(" & .Address & "<"""",Year(" & .Address & "),"""")")
End With
End Sub

Solution1 is very fast but it does NOT use table references such as Dates[YY] so for me it is not ideal.

Another macro "Solution2" is also very close to what I want:

Sub Solution2()
Range("Dates[YY]").Value = "=Year(Dates[Dates])"
Range("Dates[YY]").Value = Range("Dates[YY]").Value
End Sub

I do not like solution2 because it is slower than solution1. It is slow because the first statement (Range("Dates[YY]").Value = "=Year(Dates[Dates])") only writes a formula such "=year(A2) in column A and then requires a second statement to convert the formulas in column B to year values such as 2014, 2015 etc. It requires 2 steps rather than just 1.

There has to be a way to write a macro with the speed of solution1 which uses table references like in solution2 rather range references but I can not figure out how to do that. Can you?

Any help or comments will be appreciated.