Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
L. Howard L. Howard is offline

Default Formula (or code) return the largest number of duplicates in a list.

On Monday, December 8, 2014 7:00:47 PM UTC-8, L. Howard wrote:
Without using an actual value, how can I return the largest number of repeats in column A.

So if there are 33 "abc"'s, 22 "def"'s, 9 "ghi"'s etc in a very long list, it would return the value 33.

All the while I have no idea what all the values are in column A.

Therefore =COUNTIF(A1:A200,"abc") would be out of the question. Plus one would have to have a formula for each value, right?

Thanks,
Howard

Okay, I kept looking, this seems to do that.

=MAX(COUNTIF(A$1:A$200,A1:A200))

Sorry, should've looked harder longer.

Howard