Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default converting money formatting

I need to convert a column of money data into a format that is
recognized by QuickBooks Online so I can upload bank account
transactions. I am in Tunisia where the bank gives us the data in a
bad format that needs to be converted.

The money data looks like this.
Amount
-565,000
-400,645
-5,000

This needs to look like
Amount
-565.000
-400.645
-5.000

I thought I could easily change the "," to an "." but the "," is not
actually in the field as as excel thinks its the thousand character.
Also thought I could use LEFT and RIGHT but the LEFT numbers are
always different. The RIGHT numbers will always be 3 though as
Tunisian Dinar is thousandth of a DINAR.

Hope I am making sense and that someone can help.
thanks in advance.

You can do this with VBA. Change the Number format of the column to
text, select the cells with amounts and loop through the selection...

Sub ReformatBankAmounts()
Dim c As Range
For Each c In Selection
c = Format(c / 1000, "000.000")