Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default Porting from Excel 2003 to Excel 2010

Walter,
I use xl2010 pro as well, but xl2003 is also installed on the same
machine (this one) along with xl2007 running under Win7 x64 OS as x86.
Both xl2007/2010 open my xl2003 PERSONAL.XLS file with no problem, and
macros all work same as in xl2003.

I've made *some* macros 'version-aware' so they work in early/late
Excel. I have never needed to record macros in the later versions such
that I end up creating 'personal.xlsb'.

All my VBA projects are still developed in xl2003. They all work fine
in the later versions because I've made their code 'version-aware'.
This often requires revision in the later version so I have access to
the objects/methods/functions not included in xl2003. The VBA project
still saves in the original xl2003 format.

I put my PERSONAL.XLS file in the default location...

C:\Users\Garry\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLS TART

...so Excel knows where to find it at startup. Since I share this file
over my home network with 3 other machines running versions xl8 and
later, I didn't want to have 2 versions of it. So far it works a dream!
I just copy it to a network share where the other machines can access
it at startup. One of those machines is a netbook, meaning it's
portable and so I store its copy local in the same folder as mentioned.
It and this one both are Win7 x64 OS, with the netbook running Home
Premium.

(The other 2 machines are Dell Precision series portable workstations
running XP Pro x86)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!