Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T[_7_] Peter T[_7_] is offline

Default Get a color name from any RGB combination?

"GS" wrote in message
Wow, all that for a simple colour match algorithm, and you said I added
too much fluff! <vbg

It's not a simple colour match algorithm!

Sorry I misunderstood, read it as all intended as a solution for Charlotte's

What do you think a "Color Name *Manager*" utility should do?<g

There's no simple answer because it depends on peoples' objectives, and with
colour match would probably be diverse. But like anything as a minimum a
means to input and store data, input the query, process, and output, all
with a suitable UI.

There could be more than one list of colours, typically they range from as
few as 40 to 1000+ colours. Maybe provide links to samples.

A sheet is ideal for colours because you can store all the various
attributes (RGB, Hex, HSL, name, etc) in cells and display each colour (in
2003 coloured shapes as cells can only display 56 colours). Or for display
only could also show each colour in a form in a variety of ways and retrieve
from elsewhere.

Input the colour to match, consider how, or maybe a coloured pixel 'picked'
from the screen.

Output the matched colour, its name and specs, to the form, perhaps to the
clipboard too.

As I mentioned my old app included a colour match utility as a small feature
of a much larger range of colour related stuff.

Regards,
Peter T