Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default Get a color name from any RGB combination?

"GS" wrote in message

snip
I've never looked into RegFree and manifest, always meant to!
However even Regfree won't help with Office 64bit, right?

Not for OCXs, but DLLs should still be possible so long as
'LoadLibrary' is available!

There is a ptrSafe version of LoadLibrary. So are you saying with
RegFree you can use a VB6 aX dll in Office 64 and call it from
VBA, as a ComAddin too?

Not sure about that because I expect the DLL needs to be x64. I
don't have MSO x64 installed and so can't say. Perhaps you can ask
Rob Bovey about this.

But can't compile a dll as 64bit, 32bit only. It's not Win64 that's
the problem but Office64.

MSOx64 uses VBA7 for both 32/64 bit versions. This is not an issue!

MSOx64 needs x64 DLLs AFAIK! That excludes using VB6 DLLs all
together!!

Also, Olaf Schmidt provided the reg-free stuff for VBA and so you
can ask him about MSO x64 in the classic VB forums. Note that this
would be 'OT'!

Well not OT over there I assume! But I guess this is getting OT here
already.

Absolutely!

Seems for VBA the only solution for the old favourite ocx's is
to roll your own. You mentioned listview, was thinking about
adapting that one day.

snip
for mscomctl.ocx. I see, though, that similar libs ship as DLLs
in recent versions of Windows and so may be worth re-exploring
use of the listview!!

FWIW the mscomctl treeview has been adapted to VBA, can also use
that for a simple listview that's used for the only reason you can
include add an icon to the item.

Yes, I've seen that project but not tried it.

Perhaps you might find the demo file that acts as an extended
'Project Explorer' handy!

I don't see how a treeview can also be used as a listview (or am I
misunderstanding you), but I can do similar as both with my
Spread.ocx.

If the listview only contains a single column it has the same
appearance and in effect functionality as a treeview that has
multiple root nodes but no branches. Only reason to use a listview in
such a case is for it's capability to add icons to items, as can do
with a treeview.

Ah! So it's the other way around; using listview as a treeview! I don't
think the icon factor makes this worth the trouble for displaying data
in a VBA userform.

Please have a look at my listbox-based example when I'm done with it.
Though Charlotte's usage only includes 4 fields of data, it can handle
as many fields as a listbox max ColumnCount. This should be more than
ample for a database solution that's flat-table text file based, and
uses standard VB file I/O functions. IMO, that's as simple as it gets
for working with smaller amounts of data. If it does grow large it can
be easily 'dumped' into a SQLite db file and worked with via ADODB.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc