Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T[_7_] Peter T[_7_] is offline

Default Get a color name from any RGB combination?

"GS" wrote in message

snip
I've never looked into RegFree and manifest, always meant to! However
even Regfree won't help with Office 64bit, right?

Not for OCXs, but DLLs should still be possible so long as 'LoadLibrary'
is available!

There is a ptrSafe version of LoadLibrary. So are you saying with RegFree
you can use a VB6 aX dll in Office 64 and call it from VBA, as a ComAddin
too?

Not sure about that because I expect the DLL needs to be x64. I don't have
MSO x64 installed and so can't say. Perhaps you can ask Rob Bovey about
this.

But can't compile a dll as 64bit, 32bit only. It's not Win64 that's the
problem but Office64.

Also, Olaf Schmidt provided the reg-free stuff for VBA and so you can ask
him about MSO x64 in the classic VB forums. Note that this would be 'OT'!

Well not OT over there I assume! But I guess this is getting OT here
already.

Seems for VBA the only solution for the old favourite ocx's is to roll
your own. You mentioned listview, was thinking about adapting that one
day.

snip
for mscomctl.ocx. I see, though, that similar libs ship as DLLs in
recent versions of Windows and so may be worth re-exploring use of the
listview!!

FWIW the mscomctl treeview has been adapted to VBA, can also use that for
a simple listview that's used for the only reason you can include add an
icon to the item.

Yes, I've seen that project but not tried it.

Perhaps you might find the demo file that acts as an extended 'Project
Explorer' handy!

I don't see how a treeview can also be used as a listview (or am I
misunderstanding you), but I can do similar as both with my Spread.ocx.

If the listview only contains a single column it has the same appearance and
in effect functionality as a treeview that has multiple root nodes but no
branches. Only reason to use a listview in such a case is for it's
capability to add icons to items, as can do with a treeview.

Regards,
Peter T