Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default Get a color name from any RGB combination?

"GS" wrote in message

Point of it is that neither of those controls can be used after
Vista without installing/registering them, and the latter requires
a developer license. No problem for VB6 apps because I use a
manifest and so they run reg-free. I can do run Excel apps reg-free
only for DLLs via 'LoadLibrary', but that doesn't work for OCXs!

AIUI even in XP still had to register but the difference since Vista
is the UAC must be turned off or permission given. Can be done
manually, or via cmd (without turning off the UAC), or with an
installer subject to the user accepting the prompt that appears. I've
never looked into RegFree and manifest, always meant to! However even
Regfree won't help with Office 64bit, right?

Not for OCXs, but DLLs should still be possible so long as
'LoadLibrary' is available!

Seems for VBA the only solution for the old favourite ocx's is to
roll your own. You mentioned listview, was thinking about adapting
that one day.

It takes a bit more code to implement, but still requires its library
to be registered. This is why I did my initial listbox-based dataform
way back before UAC days and dropped support for mscomctl.ocx. I see,
though, that similar libs ship as DLLs in recent versions of Windows
and so may be worth re-exploring use of the listview!!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc