Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default Get a color name from any RGB combination?

"GS" wrote in message
Thanks for providing more detail!

Your project sounds like it was worth the effort you put into it
for its intended purpose. I feel, though, that this goes far beyond
Charlotte's request and so is why I trimmed out 'the fluff'!<g

Yeah I got carried away with the 'proper' way to do it when the
simple way is probably good enough.

Nothing wrong with that, my friend! Happens to me more often than not,
and so usually concludes with much code housekeeping.

I was initially thinking to put together a 'quick-n-dirty' solution
before you posted here. After reading your comments I decided that
this, like every other project worth doing, is worth doing well.
Problem arose when I couldn't find my listbox dataform sample and so
had to start from scratch. The data context isn't as important as the
structure that manages the data, which I already had in place at one
time. Seems I discarded it in favour of using a listview or my
Spread.ocx component I got from Farpoint (back when Farpoint was!)

Point of it is that neither of those controls can be used after Vista
without installing/registering them, and the latter requires a
developer license. No problem for VB6 apps because I use a manifest and
so they run reg-free. I can do run Excel apps reg-free only for DLLs
via 'LoadLibrary', but that doesn't work for OCXs!

Not sure if you tried the example I posted but if you find any
differences in matches with the JavaScript demo it's because it
matches against about 100 additional colours not in the list I
referred to.

Haven't used the API yet, nor your example. It's pretty clear what it
does and how it works, though, just reading it through.

I plan to make a wrapper that simply returns the info (or custom
Err.Description).

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!