Default VLookup & HLookup

I have three seperate spreadsheets which have some common information
(employee name, chaeck number and check date) all other information on
these spreadsheets is different. I need to combine all three
spreadsheets into one. For example, Employee A, Check #, Check Date,
Net Pay, Gross Pay, Deductions (multiple), Taxes (multiple). Is this
possible by combining a VLookup and an HLookup? And if so can someone
give me some pointers as to how to go about doing this? Also, if there
is a better way to do this can someone please tell me where to start.

Thanks!

Gerald