Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] yalicetian@gmail.com is offline

Default Combining Hlookup and vlookup

O.M.G.

I can't believe that I didn't know it... Thank you Max!

Alice

On Saturday, January 26, 2008 3:20:00 PM UTC-8, Max wrote:
One way - use index/match

Assume source table below is in A1:C4
January February
Hair 45 84
Beans 42 61
Prod3 72 29
(month col headers are text)

Assume you have the inputs in E2:F2 down
Beans January
Prod3 February

You could put in G2:
=INDEX($B$2:$C$4,MATCH(E2,$A$2:$A$4,0),MATCH(F2,$B $1:$C$1,0))
and copy down to return the cross-hair results.
--
Max
Singapore
"Dale" wrote:
I am trying to use the vlookup and hlookup to "cross hair" a cell. I have
used this combination before but I cannot remember the formula. I have items
in the first column and a month identifier in the following columns. So I am
trying to look up Beans in column A with the production in columns that have
months listed in them, i.e. column B is January, column c is February, etc.

Thanks

Dale