Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
L. Howard L. Howard is offline

Default SUMPRODUCT formula I think w/ wild card & number vs number as text

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:37:58 AM UTC-8, Claus Busch wrote:
Hi Howard,

Am Tue, 18 Feb 2014 06:29:12 -0800 (PST) schrieb L. Howard:

This "P 456 J Smith" and the others like it are all in a cell to themselves.

So my little mini example would be four cells with in the C12:M16 range.

try:

=COUNTIF(Sheet1!C12:M16,"P "&A4&"*")

It is returning a #Value error with the green triangle. Plus a pop up window "Update values: Sheet 1".

I went to the lookup range and verified that there were no leading or trailing spaces in the target cells.

I'll try it out on a new unused worksheet.

Howard