vandenberg p

Try the getting your Office CD and doing a custom install. Make sure that
you choose to install everything (run all from computer). It appears that
you may have made a choice (perhaps without realizing it) to install
only part of Office (saves disk space) and each time a certain feature is
needed Excel asks for it from the CD. Given the size of hard-drives today
it probably is a poor default choice for MS to have made.

In fact if you have plenty of hard-drive space first copy the Office CD to
a new directory and then install from that directory on the hard-drive.
Office will note the directory and it will never ask for the CD again,
even if you install updates etc.

Ramapo wrote:
: No additional data is given. Says the function I want to use must be
: configured from the install disk. Goes to the disk. Lots of activity
: between the disk and the hard drive, then Excel loads the spreadsheet.

: If I hit cancel when the installer message first appears, it stops
: trying to configure and loads the spreadsheet. As far as I can tell,
: activity from that point on is normal. Just a pain in the ass.

: Paul

: On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:59:28 -0600, Jack in the UK
: wrote:

:
:Do you get any error message /pop up or any message that expalins a bit
:more?
:
:Sound like Excel / Windows is looking / checking for update from
:Microsoft direct and so to lod something NOW sitting ready to go a file
:from teh original install is missing so the update can not take place.
:
:Jack