Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default Export Macro to new Workbook based on Email Address

I really appreciate the reply. If I wasn't so new to the Excel
field, I would have been able to explain this more clearly the first
time.

The file I have been given is in essence a dump file. We are
switching our mail server, and the file is a dump of all of our users
address books. Originally, it contained several columns of
information, which I have consolidated down to two colums, the email
address, and the information that needs to be added in .abook form.
An .abook is simply a glorified text file. The abook file is stored
as k .

Now, my problem is, for each address book entry for a particular
email address, it uses a new column. Example

address 1
address 2
address 3
address 1
address 2
address 1

I know I can simply copy and paste the address field and create a
text file with it, but the issue is the CSV file has over 6000
columns in it. This would be a lengthy procedure. Just was looking
for an easier alternative than that.

Okay.., that helps some. So then the addresses are not email addresses?

I've never heard of an address book 'dump' (or any other kind of data
dump) that stacks data to the right. Normally it would be appended
below existing data. (I doubt your source address books have 6000 data
fields!)

What's needed is to know how the data is laid out in the dump file, and
what data gets parsed into your .abook file. The fact that the .abook
file is a text file is a bonus that makes the task all that much
simpler to perform. Can you provide a sample of the source data dump
file?

--
Garry

Free usenet access at