Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Nitya Satheesh Nitya Satheesh is offline

Default Help with time function

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:56:31 PM UTC+5:30, joeu2004 wrote:
"Nitya Satheesh" wrote:

My sheet looks a little like this

Column a columnb

1234 2/01/2013

1234 3/01/2013

1234 3/01/2013

1234 4/01/2013

1234 5/01/2013

1234 6/01/2013

5678 1/01/2012

5678 2/01/2012

5678 3/01/2012

5678 4/01/2012

So I need to find the max and min dates for the values 1234 and 5678 etc,.

Array-enter the following formulas (press ctrl+shift+Enter instead of just

Enter):

=MIN(IF($A$1:$A$10=1234,$B$1:$B$10))

=MAX(IF($A$1:$A$10=1234,$B$1:$B$10))

To confirm that you array-entered the formula, verify that the formula is

surrounded by curly braces (e.g, {=MIN(IF(...))} in the Formula Bar when you

select the cell. Note that we cannot typye the curly braces ourselves.

That is just Excel's way of denoting an array-entered formula.

Thank you!