Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] naushadparpia@gmail.com is offline

Default Using VLookup when text isn't an exact match

This was super helpful. Thanks so much!

Quick question to expand on this. What if there are multiple return values. For example, I will trying to search for "Bob" and here are multiple Bobs and I want to return all of their last names. Is there a way to do more than one?

On Wednesday, 19 August 2009 10:33:01 UTC-4, Luke M wrote:
Need to use an array** function using SEARCH (or FIND, if you want
case-sensitive).

Let's say your lookup column is in A2:A10, return column is C2:C10, and
value to find is in A1

=INDEX(C2:C10,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH(A1,A2:A10 )),0))

**Array formulas need to be confirmed using Ctrl+Shift+Enter,, not just Enter.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Ken K" wrote:

I am trying to match a list of data using Vlookup with an array that isn't an
exact match. Example, cell may have "red, white & blue" and the array has
"red". I want this to return a positive match, not N/A#.

Is there a way to do this using Vlookup or some other function?
--
Ken K