Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike Copeland Mike Copeland is offline

Default Blank Sheet with Gridlines

In article ,
says...
Hi Mike,
Is there some way an Excel file can be created with non-displaying
"dummy rows" that print the sheet's gridlines even when they're "blank"?
(Or is there some other sort of "trick" at play here?) TIA

print without gridlines
Select your data table from A1 to the end = Conditional Formatting =
Use Formula .... = Formula = =Len($A1)0 and choose the expected
border lines for format.
So you have only lines if there are values in A

I don't understand this - perhaps I didn't make my needs clear. 8<{{
I created a new worksheet, placing a header row with values for the
columns I intend to (manually) fill in. The worksheet is just that: an
empty form for someone to write in data values (date, amount, name,
etc.).
I have a sample of such a worksheet that has this, and the entire
sheet's gridlines show even though there is no data in any of the cells
- it's an empty form, that's all. I'm trying to recreate this form on
my system (Office 2003) and my wife's (Win7 & Office 365). (I can't get
this to work on either system...)
I'm a neophyte on special processing and formatting.
I tried to follow your suggestion above, but I don't understand the
last parts ("choose the expected border lines for format. So you have
only lines if there are values in A"). I am also confused by the "print
without gridlines" statement, which seems to contradict the whole
concept I'm trying.
Also, why would anything print out if the lengths of data cells were
0?
I apologize for my ignorance, but my experience level with Excel is
minimal. Please advise.