rbrookov rbrookov is offline
Junior Member

Default Average data based on unique change in date, ignoring time

Hi,

I have a question that is probably a combination of VBA & Excel formulas, so if I put this in the wrong location, please let me know & I'll move it.

Anyway, I have a CSV data file with 3 columns:

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
(Text) Date (in the following format) Data (floating point)
a 9/19/2013 12:02:00 AM 6.58667
b 9/19/2013 12:03:00 AM 6.44361
c 9/19/2013 12:04:00 AM 6.32134
d 9/19/2013 12:05:00 AM 6.54321
e 9/20/2013 7:26:00 PM 10.11111
f 9/20/2013 7:27:00 PM 10.23345
g 9/20/2013 7:28:00 PM 10.54321
h 9/20/2013 7:29:00 PM 10.67890
i 9/21/2013 11:58:00 PM 3.12345
j 9/21/2013 11:59:00 AM 3.54321
k 9/21/2013 12:00:00 PM 4.11111
l 9/21/2013 12:01:00 PM 4.54321

The goal is to take an average of the Data in Column 3 for each instance when the Date in Column 2 changes, ignoring the time.

So, in the example above, the result would be 2 more columns, each with the following data:

Column 4 Column 5
(Unique Dates) (Average of each Date)
9/19/2013 6.4737075
9/20/2013 10.3916675
9/21/2013 3.830245

If this can be automated such that, when the CSV file is pulled into Excel, a macro can be run to produce Columns 4 & 5, that would be the most ideal solution. I am confused as to what commands in VBA would use only the unique instances of the date, ignoring the time.

If not, any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Excel 2007

P.S. sorry that the formatting isn't coming out correctly - please let me know what I'm doing wrong & I'll correct it.

Last edited by rbrookov : October 8th 13 at 06:28 PM Reason: put in version of Excel