spodosaurus

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

With your workbooks, you need to put the workbook name inside [ ]
square brackets, then refer to the sheet name before the cell reference.

[Workbook1.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100

If they are all in the same subdirectory (or folder) as you are working
with your summary, the above will suffice. If not then you will need
[C:\Excel\My work\Workbook1.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100

replacing the C:\Excel\My work\Workbook1.xls with your relevant path and
filename.

Regards

Roger Govier

It almost works! Excel gives me an error with the second workbook
reference in this formula:

=INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))

The first and thrid references to Workbook1.xls seem to be okay. I've
even tried adding extra parentheses around the second reference, like this:

=INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH(([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100)),$C$2:$C$100,0))

again, without success :-(

spodosaurus wrote:

Biff wrote:

Hi!

would this be the sort of thing that might possibly work:

=INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$ 100,FALSE),1)

This would find the value in Column A that corresponds to the MIN
value for the range in Column B...right?

Correct.

Since you are indexing a single column range you can omit the
column_number argument. It defaults to 1 when not included.

Also, the match_type argument can be one of three choices: -1, 0, 1.
Since you're using FALSE this will evaluate to 0 for an exact match
and will still work properly. So:

=INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$ 100,0))

And for the MAX based on column C:

=INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MAX($C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$ 100,0))

Note that if there are duplicate entries for either max or min the
above formulas will only return the corresponding value for the first
instance.

Biff

Now, if I wanted the values returned by these equations to appear in a
separate workbook (I have 18 separate workbooks that I want to take
values from and put into one workbook) would I have to add a
'workbook1.xls'! to the beginning of each of the three functions in
the equations? Such as:

=INDEX('workbook1.xls'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH('workbook 1.xls'!MAX('workbook1.xls'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$10 0,0))

"spodosaurus" wrote in message

spodosaurus wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to get Excel 2003 to report a value
from a separate column where the value reported by a MIN or MAX
function occurs. For example, say this is my setup:

Column A: time
Column B: value 1
Column C: value 2

I want to create a function using the MIN and MAX functions for
cell ranges in either column B or column C plus I want the value
that corresponds to the MIN or MAX value from column A. Basically,
I have data in columns B and C that occurs at times listed in
column A. I not only need to know the MIN and MAX values for
certain ranges in columns B and C but also the times at which these
values occur (across hundreds and hundreds of values with multiple
MINs and MAXs, so this is not something I want to do manually
across multiple workbooks).

ummmm

Help!

TIA,

Ari

Okay, I haven't even tried to apply this yet (I need sleep, it's
3:30am, I'll continue in the morning), but would this be the sort of
thing that might possibly work:

=INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$ 100,FALSE),1)

This would find the value in Column A that corresponds to the MIN
value for the range in Column B...right?

Now, If I wanted to do the same thing for a MAX in Column C I'd just
change the functions B's to C's...right?

okay...must sleep now...

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/