Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Claus Busch Claus Busch is offline

Default Removing letters from cells

Hi,

Am Tue, 17 Sep 2013 09:46:47 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

I have a column where the cells contain V11, C139, D27 etc. I need to
strip the letters out so that I can apply the MAX formula to the entire
column. The entries are also entered as text so I will need to remove
the apostrophe. I have only just discovered the text/value toggle so,
unwittingly, I have been entering text instead of "value" (number). I
have formatted the column as "number" and have tried highlighting the
cells and toggling to "AUTO" but the damned apostrophe remains.

if your values are in column B then insert an empty column right from B
and enter following formula:
=--RIGHT(B1,COUNT(RIGHT(B1,COLUMN(1:1))*1))
and enter the array formula with CTRL+Shift+Enter and copy down. Select
this column and copy it, then insert = Paste special = Paste values
and delete column B.
If formatting doesn't work click on column header, format the column
with your wished format and choose Data = TextToColumns = Fixed Width
= Finish

Regards
Claus B.
--