Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Claus Busch Claus Busch is offline

Default Sorting rows

Hi,

Am Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:16:11 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

Yes - the numbers are not in order which is the problem when I need to
find the highest number so that I can allocate the next one to a newly
entered recording.
=LOOKUP(2,1/(B1:B1000),B:B) returns REF
=MAX(B:B) returns 0

in which column are your numbers? You have to modify the references to
your sheet.

I have now made it possible to find quickly the highest number in my
cataloguing sequence by inserting an extra column, now column A, and
entering sequential numbers into it. However, this seems a clumsy way
to do it.

Another way is to insert a new column with your medium, e.g. CD, DVD.
Then you can put your tables together to one table, you can sort first
by medium and then by composer and if you want enter new data you can
sort by number, and so on.

Regards
Claus B.
--