-Macca- -Macca- is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeu2004[_2_] View Post
"-Macca-" wrote:
I've read up on the SumProduct function, but I can't seem to
get it to work properly. I'm just not sure on how to deal
with blank cells

I think you're putting the cart before the horse. This is like trying to decide whether to use a Phillips or a flat-head screwdriver before you've even decided whether to use screws or nails, or even what you're trying to build.

First, figure out the math (and other criteria) for the problem you want to solve -- the algorithm. This should be independent of any tools that you might use to implement the solution, even that you would use Excel.
Gotchya. I blanked it all out last night and started from a different angle. I think I'm doing it wrong by using placings for scoring, when I should be using "points" for scoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeu2004[_2_] View Post
"-Macca-" wrote:
a competitor who only ever competed once (and won!) ended up
ranked on top. Not really what I was after, as a competitor
who has done 6 events, and got 5 firsts and a second got
placed after the single event competitor.

Obviously you did something very wrong. I cannot imagine any reasonable
algorithm that would rank a 1-time winner higher than a 5-time winner.
Simple arithmetic should rank the latter higher. (Not that I am suggesting
"simple arithmetic" as a final solution.)
That's what I though too, and I think using points rather than placings will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeu2004[_2_] View Post
Who should rank higher: person C who places 1st in 1 of 10 events, or
person D who places 1st in 1 of 5 events, all events being equally weighted?
IMO, the person who's done more events (10 wins out of 10) should rank higher than the other (5 wins out of 5), because we're trying to encourage people to enter! ;)

Thanks for the help. :)