Larry Walsh Larry Walsh is offline
Junior Member

Default I need to cut characters off of a list of text cells...

Hi guys,

We've got a complicated process to post images of our thousands of parts into our database system.

Currently I have to get the file address of the image, such as:
docs.google.com/file/d/THISISTHETEXTINEED/edit?usp=sharing

The 'THISISTHETEXTINEED' section is, of course,the chunk I need to extract.

I can get this by using the left and right functions
=RIGHT(Q22, LEN(Q22)-31)
and
=LEFT(R22, LEN(R22)-17)

However, I'd like to be able to use these two functions in one cell, and I have no clue how to do that - can someone please show me how to combine these two functions in one cell?

Additionally, I need to be able to copy the output from excel into our database. The problem is that when the functions output data, it shows the data, but if you copy the cell, you only copy the function, not the output value. I can copy the cell containing the function, and paste right next to it with 'paste special - value. This will then show just the 'THISISTHETEXTINEED' data, in text, which I can then copy out. However, I'd like to be able to make Excel output that data as text automatically.

In other words, if you have a cell that adds the values of two cells (=A1+A2) and the result is ten, if you copy that cell, you won't get 10, you'll get =A1+A2. I want to copy the cell and get the value, not the function.
Or, more specifically, I'd like for the results to paste special-value into an adjacent cell automatically, without me having to copy and paste it each and every time. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Larry Walsh : July 18th 13 at 07:57 PM