Ron Moore

In your example, all the 0's are leading zeroes. Is this true in general?
In other words, can we rule out something like 01290a as a possible value?
If all zeroes will be leading 0's, then the most straightforward formula (at
least to my way of thinking) is

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"0",""))

If all zeroes are not necessarily leading 0's, and you want the position of
the last leading zero, then this array formula (entered with
CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER) will work:

=MIN(IF(MID(A1,ROW($1:$1024),1)<"0",ROW($1:$1024) ))-1

If all zeroes are not necessarily leading, and you really want the position
of the last zero, you can use some of the other responses.
,
"tom mcdonald" wrote:

column (a)
00092a
01298a
0000000567a
0123
01a
I need to use a function or procedure to find the last o in each cell
in column(a)
Can anyone please help thanks.

--
tom mcdonald