Biff

Hi!

would this be the sort of thing that might possibly work:

=INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B $100,FALSE),1)

This would find the value in Column A that corresponds to the MIN value for
the range in Column B...right?

Correct.

Since you are indexing a single column range you can omit the column_number
argument. It defaults to 1 when not included.

Also, the match_type argument can be one of three choices: -1, 0, 1. Since
you're using FALSE this will evaluate to 0 for an exact match and will still
work properly. So:

=INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$ 100,0))

And for the MAX based on column C:

=INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MAX($C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$ 100,0))

Note that if there are duplicate entries for either max or min the above
formulas will only return the corresponding value for the first instance.

Biff

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
spodosaurus wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to get Excel 2003 to report a value from a
separate column where the value reported by a MIN or MAX function occurs.
For example, say this is my setup:

Column A: time
Column B: value 1
Column C: value 2

I want to create a function using the MIN and MAX functions for cell
ranges in either column B or column C plus I want the value that
corresponds to the MIN or MAX value from column A. Basically, I have data
in columns B and C that occurs at times listed in column A. I not only
need to know the MIN and MAX values for certain ranges in columns B and C
but also the times at which these values occur (across hundreds and
hundreds of values with multiple MINs and MAXs, so this is not something
I want to do manually across multiple workbooks).

ummmm

Help!

TIA,

Ari

Okay, I haven't even tried to apply this yet (I need sleep, it's 3:30am,
I'll continue in the morning), but would this be the sort of thing that
might possibly work:

=INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$ 100,FALSE),1)

This would find the value in Column A that corresponds to the MIN value
for the range in Column B...right?

Now, If I wanted to do the same thing for a MAX in Column C I'd just
change the functions B's to C's...right?

okay...must sleep now...

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/