Tom Ogilvy

Yes, that formula would be appropriate and converted as stated.

Tom Ogilvy

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
spodosaurus wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to get Excel 2003 to report a value from a
separate column where the value reported by a MIN or MAX function
occurs. For example, say this is my setup:

Column A: time
Column B: value 1
Column C: value 2

I want to create a function using the MIN and MAX functions for cell
ranges in either column B or column C plus I want the value that
corresponds to the MIN or MAX value from column A. Basically, I have
data in columns B and C that occurs at times listed in column A. I not
only need to know the MIN and MAX values for certain ranges in columns B
and C but also the times at which these values occur (across hundreds
and hundreds of values with multiple MINs and MAXs, so this is not
something I want to do manually across multiple workbooks).

ummmm

Help!

TIA,

Ari

Okay, I haven't even tried to apply this yet (I need sleep, it's 3:30am,
I'll continue in the morning), but would this be the sort of thing that
might possibly work:

=INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$ 100,FALSE),1)

This would find the value in Column A that corresponds to the MIN value
for the range in Column B...right?

Now, If I wanted to do the same thing for a MAX in Column C I'd just
change the functions B's to C's...right?

okay...must sleep now...

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/