Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Colin Hayes Colin Hayes is offline

Default Excel 2003 save as .XLSX

In article , joeu2004
writes
Hmm, something is wrong. I don't know what it could be.

After I installed the Office Compatility Pack, .xlsx and .xlsm (et al) did indeed
appear in the choices
in the Save As dialog box. I think this was all automagic. I don't recall doing
anything special. But
it was a long time ago.

The only thing I can imagine: do you have the Excel (or Office?) 2003 SP3 service
pack?

If not, I would uninstall the Office Compatiblity downloads, update to Excel (or
Office) SP3, then re-
download and install the Office Compatilibity Packs.

If that does not work for you, you might SOL. At least, I am out of ideas.

Hi

OK I got it working. Phew.

I uninstalled these :

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack - FileFormatConverters

and

Microsoft Office Compatibility - ExcelViewer

and re-installed

Microsoft Office 2003 SP3

and

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack - FileFormatConverters

and

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (SP3).

Now when I open the Save As dialog there are several new options
including xlsx xlsm and so on. Tried them and they all work fine.
Hooray!.

Not quite sure what the issue was before , but uninstall / reinstall
seems to have done the trick.

Thanks again for your help.