Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jack Deuce Jack Deuce is offline

Default Function or Sub to help with text string

I'm hoping someone has already done this or can direct me to a site
that has the code. I'm lousy at text messaging. It takes a long time
to find the letter on my phone (Tracfone with no special options) then
complete the message. I've setup the lookup table assigning each
letter the value from the keypad. The letter "C" for example is 3
presses of the 2 key, 1st for A, 2nd for B. So pressing it twice the
string is 22. The letter V would be 888 because V is entered when the
8 key is pressed the 3rd time. The lookup table is structured thusly.

Col A Col B
A 2
B 22
C 222
D 3
W 9
X 99
Y 999
Z 9999

I'd like to enter the text message in one cell and in the other have
that string evaluated by substituting the value in lookup column B for
that character representation. The word HELLO would translate to
4433555555666 H=44 E=33 L=555 L=555 O=666. I haven't been able to
find a function that would transform each text character to the
numeric pattern. Once the transform is complete, I'd just have to
look at the returned string to type the message. I assigned a space
the character code of 247.

Hope someone can help. Thanks.