View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzaropi View Post
Help from Brazil
Good afternoon FluidPowerOne.

A) "...I am currently using Excel 2003, because my company refuses to update. Have I reached the limits of this Excel version?..."
Answer: No. The limit for Excel 2003 is: 65,536 rows; 256 columns. Total of 16,777,216 cells

B) "...The attach files tab doesn't have the .xls extension available... not sure if it will allow me to post my work so other can see it..."
Answer: You must ZIP your file before attach it to the forum

Attach your file here and explain exactly what you want.
Put a clear example about the desirable result.

Remember, you are a master of your data but we donīt know nothing about them. Then be so clear as possible on your explanation.

I believe that you will receive help sooner.
Have a nice Day.

Thanks for the advice. This is my first time joining a forum of a technical nature. So here goes... This work book is broken down like this...

Sheet "H-DATA' contains the assembly number and model code for a number of components. Each component has an assembly number that represents a part number. Behind that part number is a long description of the part in the form of a model code. This model code tells everything about the part much like the VIN number would on a vehicle. Each one is unique. There are literally millions of possible model codes for a given product. To the right on the sheet named "H-DATA' there are cells containing detailed descriptions of each of the features of each motor. These features come from mid/index/match formulas that pull information from the first page in the workbook named 'H-MC'. Ultimately the goal is to have multiple product pages like this one that can be dumped into a database.

Here's the problem... I made a sheet called 'Look-up Sheet' that a user can input an assembly number into in order to retrieve feature results contained in the page 'H-DATA'. I hit a road block on the very first part of the sheet. In the assembly numbers there are often dashes, slashes, and dots that separate parts of the model code from others for different reasons. In the 'H-DATA' sheet I wrote a column specifically to show the assembly number of the part and one for the model code of the part with out any of these delimiters purely for searching purposes.

Looking at sheet 'Look-up Sheet' you'll find the aggravating "#N/A" that I am speaking of. I want the user to input the numbers that they see stamped right on the part into the bordered cell and then have the remainder of the cells auto populate with the corresponding details about the features.

I attached the .zip file as requested. I had to cut and paste some of the data because the original workbook is far to large to post on here. If needed I can email it to someone to get a better breadth of the project. The same problem persists even in the smaller workbook that I've attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Book2.zip (18.3 KB, 30 views)