Myrna Larson

Assuming the last name is in A1 and the first name in B1:

=LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""),4)&LEFT(B1,2)

If the names are as you show, in one cell, this won't work.

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:43:01 -0700, "Heather Tavitian" <Heather
wrote:

In Excel is there a SHFT command that can remove spaces between words.
I need to concatenate the left four letters of the family name with the left
two letters of the first name to achieve an individual code of six letters.
However, some family names have a space. eg: De Vries Van Housten.
I need to "Shift" the letters to the left to remove the space so that

Janet De Vries becomes DEVRJA, not (as I'm getting) DE VJA

Help me, I have a lot of these to do!
Heather