CYLL CYLL is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyVeryOwnSelf[_3_] View Post
if we are given birth date (eg 12-june-1993), we need to calculate the average age as at 1 jan 2013.
calculate the average length of service an employee has been working in a company ... the joined date is given

If column A contains dates, then
=ROUND(AVERAGE(A:A),0)
is the average of the dates.

So if they're birthdays, then
=DATE(2013,1,1)-ROUND(AVERAGE(A:A),0)
is the average age as at 1 jan 2013, in days. Format this as a number. To get age in months or years, divide by the appropriate value and round as needed .

Likewise, if they are "joined" dates, then
=TODAY()-ROUND(AVERAGE(A:A),0)
is the average length of service, in days.
Hi, thank you for your reply.

I tried "=TODAY()-ROUND(AVERAGE(A:A),0)" where A:A contains the joined dates of lets say 100 different employees in the format of (dd-mm-yy). I pressed cltr-shift-enter (I tried enter but it gave me dd-mm-yy as the final answer) and I got 4digit number.. which is the total average length in days right.. hmm. I just wonder what's the '0' at the end stands for? thanks again