Max

One way using non array formulas ..

Put in B1:
=IF(A1="","",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("specific_word",A1 )),"",ROW()))

[ replace: specific_word with your actual word within the quotes ]

Put in C1:
=IF(ISERROR(SMALL(B:B,ROWS($A$1:A1))),"",
INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL(B:B,ROWS($A$1:A1)),B:B,0)))

Select B1:C1, copy down til the last row of data in col A

Col C will return only the lines in col A which do not contain the
"specific_word", all lines neatly bunched at the top

Adapt to suit ..

Just replace SEARCH with FIND in the formula in B1
if you need the search to be case sensitive (FIND is case sensitive)
--
Rgds
Max
"SafariQn" wrote in message
Is there a way to do a search in an excel spreadsheet for a specific

'word'
and have all pertinent lines deleted? I have a spreadsheet of over 11,000
lines and need to delete all lines that contain a specific word - doing

this
manually is outrageous. I tried conditional formatting, but this does not
work. Help would be appreciated!
--
Linda