srm6 srm6 is offline
Junior Member

Default Using a vlookup to search multiple criteria for one result?

HI all!! Thank you for time and knowledge. I am looking for a vlookup to search multiple criteria for one result?

Below is my workbook with 2 sheets. The "Name" column in "Sheet 1" is blank. This is where I want to put the vlookup formula. The "Answer should be:" doesn't exist. It just for reference to check the results.

I am looking for a vlookup formula that will lookup the "Location Code" and the "Task" in "Sheet 1" and compare it to "Sheet 2" to give me the result from "Sheet 2". I am looking for the name of the Location/Task. The only unique value is the Task (the location can be duplicated many times and the different location codes can have the same task as other location codes).

Sheet 1
Name Location Code Task Answer should be:
{Formula Here} IL001 010 Bob
{Formula Here} IL001 009 Bill
{Formula Here} IL002 008 Diane
{Formula Here} IL002 007 Tina
{Formula Here} IL003 006 Bill
{Formula Here} IL004 005 Tina
{Formula Here} IL004 004 Bob
{Formula Here} IL005 003 Diane
{Formula Here} IL006 002 Tina
{Formula Here} IL007 001 Bob
{Formula Here} IL008 000 Diane

Sheet 2
Location Code Task Name
IL008 000 Diane
IL007 001 Bob
IL006 002 Tina
IL005 003 Diane
IL004 004 Bob
IL004 005 Tina
IL003 006 Bill
IL002 007 Tina
IL002 008 Diane
IL001 009 Bill
IL001 010 Bob

I have tried many different options to no avail. One simple option I thought for sure would work is: =VLOOKUP(B2&C2,name,3,FALSE)
{I named the range "name"}

I have also attached the information.

Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to seeing the results.

Last edited by srm6 : March 11th 13 at 09:14 PM Reason: Added attachment