Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MAS MAS is offline

Default check first 3 characters of a cell and compare to a table

Claus Busch wrote:
Hi,

Am Sat, 09 Mar 2013 07:56:42 GMT schrieb MAS:

I am looking for help with a formula that will look up the first 3
characters in a cell, compare it too a table in a different workbook and
return the result of "check" if the 3 characters match an entry in the
table

if you want to count the matches try:
=COUNT(SEARCH(LEFT(A1,3),[MyWorkbook.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100))

Regards
Claus Busch

Hi Claus,

I am more looking at a formula that will check the first 3 characters in
column A (i.e. A1C if A1C-123 is in a cell), then lookup column B starting
at row 3 in a different workbook, and return either "check" if the 3
characters appear in column B in the different workbook or "no" if it
doesn't.