TimLeonard TimLeonard is offline
Member

Quote:
Hmmm. What you write leads me to believe I have been laboring under a fundamental incorrect assumption.
I don't really think so, Sounds like I just clouded up our understanding...Perhaps I just need to change or explain my approach/logic better

Quote:
I have been assuming that, since you wrote that
PanelData was derived from data "exported from a field panel and only contains what is programmed in the panel",
We are generating CompareData from PanelData
This is fact true...
Only what has been programmed in the panel OR Deleted from the panel will be in the PanelData and thus on the CompareData

Quote:
We are generating Summary from CompareData
"Summary sheet in theory, should have all the programmed rows/cells populated the same as the CompareData"

that we could regenerate Summary at any time, retaining changes that had been made manually. (after reviewing for errors and so forth). So I would intend to generate a fresh Summary sheet (retaining the appropriate additions) whenever a new PanelData sheet was downloaded (and a new CompareData sheet generated).

In other words, I assumed it should never be the case, with a freshly generated Summary sheet, that there could be rows on CompareData/Panel Data which are "waiting" to be placed on the Summary sheet until the "as-built drawings".

The methodology also assumes that we will generate a fresh Summary sheet whenever PanelData is updated. That being the case, the concept of data on CompareData that is not on Summary representing deletions should hold.

Please clarify.
Let me try to explain it this way...Perhaps we could liken the summary sheet as a forever ongoing updating living spreadsheet. I say this because the engineer could have several jobs that their working on and it could take several months before one of the jobs gets installed, at times some jobs get installed in phases that require devices to be demo'd/deleted and then re-installed during the remodel/buildout.

Here is a good example...The job could be a full floor in an office building that gets completely demo'd at the same time the engineer is designing the remodel. So the engineer has taken the floor plan and determined which devices need to be deleted from the summary sheet. He now merges the new floorplan on the drawing and begins placing the required devices on the drawing. These new devices have different devicelabels and maybe extendedlabels. Now during the field inspection the technician is required to install another device...under my current process, this device would then be on the compareData sheet and not on the Summary sheet since it did not start with the engineer...

I think the fix is rather than waiting to asbuilt the device, I think it needs to to have a process change that will avoid ever having a device on the compareData that is not on the Summary Sheet...Perhaps having the technician call the engineer to get the device number and thus populating the summary sheet with the added device, this would prevent the comparedata sheet from having a device that the summary doesn't.

So if we are creating the summarysheet each time the comparedata sheet is created and it keeps the manually entered data then I think we are accomplishing the need end result as long as I make the process change stated above...

However what will happen when comparing the comparedata and summary sheets and the labels don't match. The comparedata labels should take precedence since it is what is programmed in the field. will there be an option to update or will it automatically do the update when it recreates the summary sheet??